Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eating Out with Success- Chinese

I thought we could add our tips/tricks for eating out at various restaurants. The best way is to research the restaurant's nutritional information (or something similar) and go in with a plan.

However, dining out with coworkers, we never decide until we're out the door. Therefore my learnings are more trial and error. Yesterday we hit a chinese restaurant for lunch. I saw on the menu you could order steamed chicken & veggies or shrimp & veggies. It wasn't on the lunch menu, but I asked for the chicken & veggies steamed and they happily gave me the lunch portion. I ordered hot and sour soup with it and brown rice. It came with sauce on the side, which I didn't use and instead used hot mustard because I like it hot, hot, hot.

Here are my learnings from the lunch. You can order off lunch menus with special preparations if you just ask. I ended up eating the egg roll that came with the meal and also the fortune cookie, which is so not worth the calories. I finished off almost the entire plate of food, which really was too much. Here's how I will do it next time- ask for a to-go container up front and save half for lunch the next day. Have them leave the egg roll off and open up the fortune cookie, read the fortune and toss the cookie.

2 comments:

  1. Great learnings Courtney! And, I know how your coworkers are about lunch.

    Might you look at the menus of all of the places the like to go to and have some kind of idea of what you can order? They tend to eat at the same 5-6 restaurants.

    Asking for a togo box right away and scooping 1/2 of your meal into it, helps also!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, they are completely predictable! I do make sure it's not Indian food day as it is a buffet, everything is covered in heavy sauce and I eat way too much when we go!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Us