Thursday, August 6, 2009

Health Coach

Our employer offers us the option of having a health coach if you have specific health concerns. I decided to take advantage of the program and have monthly telephone conversations with my health coach, Heather. You can set up the frequency and I find that monthly works well for me as it gives me time to incorporate changes.

Last night was my meeting with Heather. Last we spoke, my goals were cooking in bulk to have healthy breakfasts and lunches on hand, to start Weight Watchers again and to incorporate regular exercise. I figure 2 out of 3 isn't too bad.

We did talk about what has kept me from exercising and she gave me concrete ways to overcome those obstacles. The best (ok, only) time for me to consistently exercise is the mornings before work. Part of my issue this summer is everyone in the house is staying up late because they can sleep in the next morning (except me). She suggested I discuss with the family my plans to wake up earlier and gain support from the rest of the family.

Another issue is our oldest's weight. This summer has been especially bad as it is so hot and the kids don't go outside to play. Heather had great suggestions on how to handle this issue. She suggested making healthy eating and exercise core family values rather than a chore or punishment. It's just something we do. She also suggested setting up a family activity night where we can rotate choosing the activity. I am excited about this idea.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your efforts! I am a Health and Wellness Coach and founder, owner of my own health coaching company, BodyVision SL. I do a lot of coaching on the phone and I must support you - coaching in the phone is very effective and has the advantage of the comfort of coaching sessions in your place of choice. I'm a mom of 3 children as well, so I benefit just as much as the client, being able to work from my home office or the wellness center where I am a collaborator. Good luck on your efforts! great to hear that the health coaches are gaining in popularity. from Tatiana Abend http://healthmanagementonline.blogspot.com and www.bodyvisionsl.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney - great job on taking advantage of the Health Coach. I might try that again too!

    What time do you want to get up and exercise? Maybe we can hold each other accountable for it by texting or calling each other?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Us